February 11, 2011

love and other destruction

Somewhere along the Valentine's Day timeline, it became notorious as the dreaded holiday. For some relationships it can be an unwelcome reminder that every other day of the year romantically fails in comparison. For those who are single, Valentine's Day is overblown, an inflated day whose sole aim is to point out and/or mock loneliness. Neither scenario holds even an ounce of truth unless you lead yourself to believe it. Valentine's Day should be stress free, exciting and enjoyable. Throw a party, ask someone out on a date, stay in and order thai and watch funny movies. Get over the torturous analysis of your own love life and focus on the people who make you happy. Call your friends who you haven't talked to in ages. Call your parents, they'll unquestionably love hearing your voice. In preparation for this weekend, I've made a few plans: tonight I have a date with a handsome young suitor and potential doctor; I'll be seeing my lovely older sister Kari, who also lives in Chicago; and making V-Day treats with my favorite Martha Stewart impersonator and close friend, Claire. In an attempt to follow my own advice, I'm planning on making a few long overdue phone calls to some very important people. It's easy to get caught up in your own life, in your own carefully constructed world- but what has been and will always be the most important part of my life are the people in it. My only hope for this year's V-Day is that these people know just how much I love them.

No comments:

Post a Comment